Monday, August 2, 2010

FYI.. Don't call them "kids" here in Antigua!


Uncertain... that is simply how I can put into words what we were walking into.

VBS started this morning and riding to the church, we were just uncertain.

Uncertain if our hard work canvassing the local neighborhoods (and I use that term
"neighborhoods" extremely loosely) would pay off. (It did!)


Uncertain if the kids that offered me my first opportunity to eat "goosenberries" would honor their promise to show up? (I didn't eat...They didn't show. I wonder if there is a correlation?)


Uncertain if what we prepared so hard for would culturally translate? Welllllllll.... After referring to them as "kids" and the appalling look we received nearly immediately, we were told with all the goats on the island, we were basically calling them goats! Oops! Looks like apologies are in order for tomorrow!


VBS nutshell: Day #1 was fun! Although we were uncertain in our expectations, we met the challenge with enthusiasm and had a BLAST playing with the kids. We are all looking forward to VBS Day #2! I am not sure if the strength of my voice will last through the week, but I will go down trying!


After sharing lunch with our new Antiguan friends provided to us by some ladies in the church (Antiguan hot dogs are not quite the same... but the fries were pretty good), we loaded up the vans for Amazing Grace Orphanage.

Uncertain how I will combine the two events (VBS & Amazing Grace Orphanage)...I will close for now and write about AG in a bit...









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jilynn, I don't know how the kids could not love you when you teach VBS... Because our kids love ya.. Keep it up.. God is there, it will just take a little patience. Love ya, Holly

Leslie said...

i am so proud of you and the work you guys are doing! You are a treasured servant of God my friend! I miss you, be safe:)

Amee P said...

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. The pictures are great! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Sis, Seeing Jesus in the eyes of a special needs child is such a blessing. It goes deep into the soul...your's and their's. I am glad that we have experienced it together despite separately. I am glad you got to go and not miss the best part of the trip. Hope you are well. I love you so much, Momma