Monday, September 8, 2008

My Big Girl, Addi





My sweet blonde-headed princess girl started her first day of preschool today.  This day played itself up in my mind like a well rehearsed play.  I would get her dressed in her little dress she would have insisted on wearing.  I would walk her past Daddy's office, past the cemetery, down the hill and into the doors all the while answering question after question being fired by a curious three year old and schlepping her baby sister on my hip.  With each step closer to her brand new class, I anticipated feeling her small hand in mine clinging harder and harder until we reached the door.  As the sweet lady standing in front of her ready to greet her & sweep her off to her new adventure called preschool, she would cling to my leg as if it where the boogie man stealing her away from her Mommy.  I anticipated peeling her hands off of me only to unleash the flood gate of tears that I was positive would ensue.  This drama continued in my mind with me walking out of the classroom as my sweetheart collapsed into a heap on the floor as I have seen her do before because Mommy had abandoned her.  I would walk away from the scene a guilty mess, but confident that I was making the right decision in leaving her at preschool and make every attempt to enjoy my morning.   Addi must have been taking bravery lessons from her older brother, Jaykob.  Appearantly I have grossly underestimated my children as of recent!  Nothing remotely close to what I had rehearsed in my mind played out for Addi's first day of preschool.  The one I had thought would go into her new class kicking & screaming gave me nothing more than a quick hug & kiss and was off.  I hung around for a moment anticipating what I thought was going to be the inevitable tears, hoping I would get just one more snuggle & smooch, but all I got was an excited smile as she discovered the dress up clothes.  
I walked away today with my head held high so proud of my big girl but yet with a slight tug in my heart for the day when I was needed & chosen.   Albeit three years old & still very much in need of her Mommy, Addi is growing up.  Yet, Tony & I can rest in the fact that we 
are raising confident children.  A fact we should be and are very proud of!  Happy Preschool Day, Addilyn!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this blog! Of course not as much when I am tearing up at my desk at work reading your blogs and looking at the pictures. Miss and love you guys bunches!

Anonymous said...

Addi....you are such a big girl. We are loving the blog - would love to see you again! Mom

Anonymous said...

We're not surprised. Those kids come from great stock (probably your side of the family Jillynn) plus they have been raised by super Christian parents. Love you... miss you!